Core Volunteer Opportunities
Our core volunteers are the backbone of our invertebrate zoo! We seek dependable team players, committed to supporting our team and providing our guests the highest standards of customer service.
From engaging with guests at our exhibits, to helping care for our plants and animals, we offer a variety of opportunities to suit every interest and skill level. Explore our current openings below, and fill out an application today!
Core Volunteer Requirements
- Be at least 14 years old*. *Some positions have a higher minimum age requirement.
- Commit to a minimum of 8 hours of service per month for a minimum of 6 months.
- Be able to attend required Volunteer Orientation and Training. Upcoming training dates:
- Saturday, March 30, 2019, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm.
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm.
- Saturday, July 14, 2019, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm.
- Complete an application, interview, and criminal background screening before being selected to join the team.
- Be able to complete additional training as required by position.
- Upon acceptance, contribute a one-time $25 materials fee.
- Assist at least two Butterfly Pavilion Special Events per year.
- Be a dependable team player, committed to providing our guests the highest standards of customer service.
Current opportunities are listed below!
Bring our exhibits to life by helping guests enjoy and learn more about our amazing animals! Highlight unique facts and share up-close animal experiences with guests. This position offers in-depth training and our most flexible scheduling option. Must be at least 14 years old and commit to a minimum 8 hours per month on a flexible or regular schedule. Must be able to attend scheduled Exhibit Ambassador Training class following orientation. Upcoming training dates: Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm. Saturday, February 16, 2019, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm. Saturday, April 6, 2019, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm.Apply Here
Gardening & Horticulture
Help care for our beautiful outdoor gardens and tropical conservatory! Support horticulture staff in developing and maintaining healthy plant collections which provide food and habitat for many animals, both inside and outside the facility. Must be at least 14 years old and commit to a minimum 2 to 3 hour weekly or every other week shift. Includes outdoor work in various weather conditions.Apply Here
Help guests experience the thrill of holding Rosie the Tarantula! Offer our guests in a comfortable environment and great learning experience as they have an up-close encounter with Rosie. In depth training and mentoring provided. Must be at least 18 years old and commit to a minimum 2 to 4 hour weekly or every other week shift. Must successfully complete Animal Handling Training classApply Here
Birthday Party or Field Trip Ambassador
Help our visiting groups make memories to last a lifetime! Provide the initial welcome to school field trips or birthday party guests by greeting them, checking them in, and supplying information to make their experience run smoothly. Must be at least 16 years old and commit to a 2 to 4 hour weekly or twice a week shift for a minimum of 6 months.Apply Here
Gift Shop or Guest Services Ambassador
Help provide top-notch guest services! Support the Gift Shop, Admissions, or Membership teams by greeting and interacting with customers. Support staff behind the scenes with data entry, stocking inventory, reservation confirmations, and more. Must be at least 16 years old and commit to a minimum 4 hour weekly shift, for a minimum of 6 months.Apply Here