Colorado Butterfly Monitoring Network
Colorado Butterfly Monitoring Network (CBMN) is a community science project led by Butterfly Pavilion that harnesses the power of volunteers to conserve Colorado butterflies.
Established in 2013, the Colorado Butterfly Monitoring Network (CBMN) is a long-term community science project led by Butterfly Pavilion that harnesses the power of volunteers to conserve Colorado butterflies.
Butterflies are not only beautiful, but they also play a vital role in the ecosystem, serving as both pollinators and as food for other animals. Knowing which butterflies are active in our state gives us important information about the health of our local ecosystems.
CBMN volunteers observe and record butterflies in open spaces and parks multiple times per season, gathering essential data that land managers can use when making conservation decisions. It’s a fantastic chance to get outdoors and learn about butterflies, while having a positive impact on conservation in Colorado.
No experience is necessary to participate and all are welcome!
The field season runs from May to September, with trainings held in April and May.
Interested in participating? Here’s How!
- Submit a Monitor Sign-Up Form and attend a training session before the start of the monitoring season (~2 hours).
- Receive a site assignment from CBMN or establish a new monitoring route near you (pending approval)
- Visit your site 6 to 8 times between May to September, conducting a 1-2 hour survey on each field day (6 hours minimum)
- Submit your field data online on PollardBase after concluding your monitoring sessions
Sign Up for a Training To Monitor Butterflies!
The training will be recorded and available to listen to on your own time beginning April 15th. Use the sign-up form to indicate you’d like to receive this self-paced training.
- Thursday, April 6 from 10 am-12 pm at Butterfly Pavilion (Westminster)
- Sunday, April 9 from 10 am-12 pm at the Gardens on Spring Creek (Fort Collins)
- Saturday, May 13 from 10 am-12 pm at Raven’s Nest Nature Preserve (Lamar)
- Friday, May 26 from 9:30 am-11:30 am at the Bud Werner Memorial Library (Steamboat Springs)
Is your organization interested in having staff/volunteers participate?