Butterfly Pinning Workshop
April 6, 2024, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Taught by The Terrorium Shop, Denver’s natural history store. In this class you will learn everything you need to know to mount your very own Morpho Specimen.
This class will start off with a short lecture discussing the anatomy and lifestyle habits of the selected specimens. Understanding the significance of butterflies in ecosystems helps us appreciate their role in nature’s balance and encourages efforts to protect and conserve these creatures and their habitats. You will learn about relaxing chambers, the different types and how to make a quick, easy relaxing chamber from household items. The last portion of the class will be hands on pinning of your specimen.
Each person will receive one relaxed morpho, a mini relaxing chamber, their own pinning board and their own set of entomology pins. Please note the morphos do not have their thorax as they are removed due to grease of specimens.
Instructor: Terrorium Shop
- $65 Non-Member
- $60 Member
- Taught by The Terrorium Shop: Learn from experts at Denver’s natural history store, ensuring high-quality instruction.
- Morpho Specimen Mounting: Acquire comprehensive knowledge and skills to mount your own Morpho Specimen.
- Anatomy and Lifestyle Lecture: Begin with a short lecture covering the anatomy and lifestyle habits of the selected specimens, providing essential background information.
- Relaxing Chambers Exploration: Understand the importance of relaxing chambers, explore different types, and discover how to create a quick and easy chamber using household items.
- Hands-On Pinning Session: Engage in a practical, hands-on session where you’ll personally pin your Morpho Specimen, applying the knowledge gained from the lecture.
- Included Materials: Each participant will receive a relaxed morpho, a mini relaxing chamber, a personal pinning board, and their own set of entomology pins.
- Thorax Removal Note: Morphos provided do not have their thorax removed due to the grease of specimens, a key detail to be aware of during the mounting process.