Expert Lecture: Get Involved in Butterfly Conservation
March 30th, 2024, 10:00 a.m. –11:30 a.m.
Embark on a captivating exploration of butterfly conservation with Butterfly Pavilion’s Lepidopterist Shiran Hershcovich. Delve into the enchanting world of butterflies, discovering the vital role they play in ecosystems and their delicate balance in the natural order. Shiran will guide you through the fundamentals of butterfly conservation, sharing insights into their life cycles, habitats, and challenges.
Learn practical strategies for getting involved in butterfly conservation efforts, from creating butterfly-friendly gardens to understanding the importance of preserving natural habitats. Be empowered to make a positive impact on butterfly populations. Join Shiran in this inspiring class to become a steward of these beautiful creatures and contribute to the conservation of our delicate winged friends.
Bio: Shiran Hershcovich is an entomologist from Panama City, Panama. She earned her degree in Molecular Biology from the University of California – Berkeley. She joined Butterfly Pavilion in 2021, where she curates the conservatory’s living collections of butterflies. She’s passionate about understanding and conserving invertebrates and currently works on local and international research and conservation initiatives like field assessments on vulnerable butterfly populations in Mongolia and the construction of a sustainable butterfly farm in Indonesia. She currently serves on the board of directors for the International Association of Butterfly Exhibitors and Suppliers (IABES). She believes in the power of community to increase accessibility and action in conservation and leads community science projects like the Colorado Butterfly Monitoring Network (CBMN) and Butterfly Quest, a lepidopteran longevity study in the Wings of the Tropics conservatory open to all Butterfly Pavilion guests. Before her time at Butterfly Pavilion, she worked in invertebrate research at the Essig Museum of Entomology and the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute.
- $35 per non-member
- $30 member
What you’ll learn:
- The Fascinating World of Butterflies: Explore the enchanting life cycles, habitats, and behaviors of butterflies, gaining a deep understanding of their significance in ecosystems.
- Butterfly Conservation Fundamentals: Delve into the essentials of butterfly conservation, learning about the challenges they face and the crucial role they play in maintaining the natural order.
- Practical Strategies for Conservation: Acquire practical knowledge and strategies for actively participating in butterfly conservation efforts, including creating butterfly-friendly gardens and preserving natural habitats.
- Empowerment to Make a Positive Impact: Be inspired and empowered to contribute to the conservation of butterfly populations, becoming a steward of these beautiful creatures and making a tangible difference in their preservation.
- Insights from a Renowned Lepidopterist: Benefit from the expertise of Shiran Hershcovich, an entomologist with a rich background in butterfly research and conservation, as she shares valuable insights and experiences from her work at the Butterfly Pavilion and involvement in global initiatives.