Summer Youth Internship
Applications for Summer 2023 are now open!
Summer Youth Interns must be ages 14-18, friendly, curious, and able to enthusiastically interact with Butterfly Pavilion guests of all ages and diverse backgrounds. The Summer Youth Internship is designed for those with an interest in invertebrate animals, global conservation issues, working in nonprofits, and/or education. Summer Youth Interns will gain valuable science-related and work experience through their volunteer service.
- Selected youth interns will do a two-week rotation in each of the following departments:
- Interpretation: Work on the floor of the first AZA-accredited invertebrate zoo in the world!
- Horticulture and Hospitality: Learn about and care for our outdoor Discovery Gardens and our tropical indoor collection, while also exploring guest services and the world of ethical and sustainable retail
- Camp: Get hands-on experience working with Rosie’s Discovery Camp
- Applicants must be at least 14 years of age by May 29 and must be enrolled in high school or homeschool equivalent
- The final weeks will feature intensive sessions working with our zookeeping, research, events, marketing, and exhibits teams and developing a presentation on the learning experience.
- Summer Youth Interns commit to an M-W-F schedule from 9:00-3:00 with a one-hour lunch break, with an orientation on Monday, May 29
During the Program, Summer Youth Interns will:
- Learn all about invertebrate animals and their habitats
- Understand global conservation threats and how you can positively impact the future of these species
- Interact with our guests of all ages
- Develop professional communication skills
- Gain work experience, working independently and as part of a professional team
- Work independently to create a presentation about a favorite volunteer activity or learning experience during your summer. At the end of the summer, interns present their projects to staff, volunteers, and special guests – parents and family are invited!
Contact Laurie at email@example.com for questions.